Tuesday 23 August 2011

3's a Trend Tuesday: NON-BORING SNAKES

Rule 1 of trend forecasting: if you see something 3 times in different places/contexts within a small timeframe... it's a trend.  Today my eyes have been bombarded with snakes.  By bombarded, I mean thrice + a Twitter post someone had written about a cobra being nature's version of what happens when you chew your straw at one end. 

Apparently the Skoda ad is old but I only saw it today because it's running on channel 5.  The last time I saw 5 was er, when the Spice Girls launched it in 1997.  5 of course is the new home of Big Brother, where TV gold is being made with narrative such as:-

"It's been 34 minutes since one of the Jedwards gave Amy Childs a wedgie."  Amazing.

Anyway, we're not talking about boring snakes; they're being depicted as clever, dynamic animals rather than the one-dimensional "Oh look I'm a sexy clutch bag on the end of a bimbo" context we've all grown to associate with snakeskin. 

Snakes as the Skoda car engine from the Fabia 'Made of Meaner Stuff' advertising campaign.






Snakes in an excellent music video set in a cult church. Chapel Club - Surfacing.




An albino on a nail blog.  I thought about this for too long.




The Skoda ad reminded me of Iris Van Herpen's snake A/W 2012 Paris couture collection.  The designer previously interned at Alexander McQueen so those references are clear, but it's also got a touch of the Gareth Pugh's, should he ever venture into squiggles. 


Amongst my circle it is an unspoken understanding that clutchbags are for idiots who aren't planning on having any fun at all, zzzzz!  Fingers crossed, the prospect of a great big rucksack made of creepy, pipey, eel-y snakes over the pretty snakeskin clutch is infinitely more exciting.


P.S
If I'd read this I'd have ignored the snakes and been straight, "SHIT YEAH, I remember when Spice Girls launched 5; that wanky song with the circles" then straight to YouTube.   If you're half the loser I am, here it is to save you the bother, at least you're spared the humiliation of physically typing out your lowest point.  You might be surprised this time round to find that the orange mounds have giant nipples.  Enjoy!



- HW

No comments:

Post a Comment